Tuesday

Glow

Monday was crummy. Crummier than any other day yet this year. "Hipster Runoff" was on blog radio (a Left of Center/Sirius XMU radio show) which will always make me crabby. Plus I had a pile of busywork to do. Then around noonish I received an upsetting phone call, the subject of which I will discuss at a later date. The culmination of these things led me to leave work early. Really, it was just the phone call that convinced me to take a half day, but I like to make a big deal about just how shitty Hipster Runoff is.

When I got to my house, I didn't do anything. This is weird because I am an annoying busy-body. I just kind of sat in my quiet living room staring at a blank computer screen. This might sound serene, but it wasn't. It was creepy. I was feeling a little woozy, a little foggy, and very anxious. After sitting in silence for about an hour and a half, a thought popped into my head. "Why the fuck isn't the TV on?"

I love TV. I am proud to say that TV raised me. I think I pay more for my cable than I do for my heat, and I like it that way. I like to think I have pretty okay taste. For some reason, though, much of what I watch is the worst of what TV has to offer. Monday was a shining example of that. When I turned TV on, I immediately put on the 2002 Amanda Bynes sitcom "What I Like About You." Like some magic pacifier, it stopped me from whimpering and calmed me right down. I love TV.

The evening improved as Tyler drove up to keep me company. It continued to improve as he revealed that he had called in to work that night. We ate ice cream and it was awesome. A total pick-me-up. As usual, we watched TV pretty much all night. Watching TV with people who aren't TV lovers makes me realize how awful the crap I watch actually is. Trying to catch a non-watcher up on the plot of Gossip Girl enough that they will understand what's happening is a hard thing to do with a straight face. Still, I record and watch that show weekly. I lived for a year in college without cable. It was the worst living experience of my life. Not specifically due to no TV, but it was a major contributing factor. People who choose or preach no TV are assholes. I could not have made it through the week, or the last 25 years without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment